header picture

header picture

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Linen and Woolen

Always exciting to start a new project.

I was looking for something to knit on the train while I spin up some more yarn for the shawl this week, but I was uninspired as to what to make (I didn't want to make for myself, and my family has all of the hats and scarfs that they need). So I posted to Facebook: the first person to respond would get a custom hand-knit item.

A local friend requested a summer shawl, and (after a quick discussion) indicated that she preferred linen to bamboo or cotton. So I am breaking out the linen yarn that I last used on that mosaic hat and making a loose shawl.

The pattern I chose is the Van Goch Shawl by Tall Tree Designs. It looks pretty simple, and I think it will look good in three colors. Crucially, I can pretty much stop when I run out of yarn - no careful measuring required. I don't want any leftovers if I can avoid it, since the linen won't mix well with anything else.

First step was three gauge pieces, done with needles sized 8, 9, and 10 (American). I followed the pattern, minus the parts that make it triangular, to get a sense of how it would look.

Differences are more apparent when they are stretched out a bit
I decided to go with size 9. Unfortunately, I didn't have any circular needles in that size, so I went to my LYS (Second Story Knits in Bethesda, MD). They were only selling interchangeable needles, so I got my first pair (and my second - I didn't have good 8's either). They are fine, but I really am not sure at all that they are worth the extra cost - I rarely find that the length of the cable matters, so I don't see the point of having interchangeables.

The summer shawl is started though, and I am pretty pleased so far. The pattern is easy, and the shape is looking good.

Summer shawl with linen
I have also been getting some spinning done, so I might as well update you all on that as well. I made an Andean plying bracelet from the carded waste wool singles I mentioned last week:
A half-finished Andean plying bracelet, with tools of the craft in the background 
And finished plying off of it. The small finished skein is hanging to dry over my shower-head right now. I'm waiting to see how much it puffs out, but here is a pic from before it was wet-finished:
A nice woolen yarn
There is something to be said for handspun that looks like handspun (without being too uneven, that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment