header picture

header picture

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Linen Mosaic Hat

Well, I did promise that I would post something about the linen mosaic hat I had been working on. I finally got around to getting the pictures onto my computer, so I might as well show you all. I was somewhat hoping that the recipient of the gift would send me a nice picture of the hat being worn, but it looks like he hasn't gotten around to it.

A hat
It came out even better than I had hoped it would. I didn't end up blocking it, though. Partially because it might ruin the texture of the pattern, and partially because I ran out of time. I didn't want to put a wet hat in the shipping box!

The hat is nice and long, and I ended up using the rikke hat as a model for the shape of the hat. I thought the square shape of the original pattern was fine for a winter hat, but not so much for a hat for all seasons. The intended recipient lives in Los Angeles, so it is less a winter hat and more an indoor hat. It hangs down in back in that slouchy way that I hear is trendy (though what do I know about fashion?).

I realize I never showed you how the yarn looked "in skein". Here you go.

The one problem I had with its construction was that, because of the linen material, the brim did not grip the head like a rib normally does. So I improvised with a "drawstring" that is woven through the rib stitches. Hopefully, as the linen softens, there won't be a problem with the drawstring not pulling tight anymore.

Well, I still have quite a bit of linen left over, but not enough for a shirt. Any suggestions for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment