header picture

header picture

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Needle Inventory

Ok, so while I was on break, I decided to do an inventory check on all my needles.

First, straight needles:

Straight needles from the collection, in size order

One set each of sizes 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 1, and 13
Two sets, each, of sizes 3, 5, and 15
One unmatched needle in sizes 10.5 and 13
No straight needles in size 10 or usable ones in size 8 (all I have are decorative glass ones)

Next, on to the double-pointed needles:
Double-pointed needles not currently occupied in projects arranged
 in size-order. Plus that essential tool - a needle gauge.

4 needles, each, in sizes 5, 6, 7, and 10
5 needles, each, in sizes 000, 00, 0, 1, 8, and 9
6 needles in size 4
and 11 needles in size 3 (don't ask me how I ended up with so many, I don't know)
I also have 4 needles in size 2 according to my records, but it took me awhile to find them. Turns out they were still in a long-abandoned project.

Finally, the circulars:
Circular needles not currently involved in projects.
I was too lazy to organize them for the photo, though.

One 12" size 3
16" for sizes 4, 5, and 8
One 24" size 1
In 32" I have sizes 5, 6, and 7
and in 29" I have three, each, of sizes 2 and 3; 2 of size 4; and one, each, of sizes 7, 10, 10.5, 11, and 15.

While I have bought some needles, many were inherited from either my grandmother who taught me to knit or a cafeteria worker at my college who heard that I knitted.

I have a variety of materials. In general, I prefer aluminum needles, since plastic tends to break, but the bamboo double-pointed needles are nice, in that the stitches tend not to fall off.

It is funny how these things tend to collect over time. I am already finding similar collections of spindles and bobbins beginning - though I know fewer people to inherit spinning supplies from.


No comments:

Post a Comment