header picture

header picture

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Color Transitions

Well, it's been awhile. I started a new job, and my commute is much longer. So, less time to write blogs. But more time to knit and spin!

I have been getting a lot done on my skirt:
Beach skirt: if I finished it today, it would go just below my knees
I finished up the darker blue part, and started on the purply-gray. As I mentioned before, I had originally planned on just using two colors, but a last minute substitution was necessary.

I am using a pretty simple pattern for the purple part: plain stockinette, punctuated by wavy-lines made out of purl stitches. I will show you all a picture when I finish a repeat (I ripped out my test).

The question was how to transition between the two patterns and the two colors. The first option (a) was simply to stop doing the blue and start the purple with the new pattern. The second option (b) was to start the purple, but continue the herringbone pattern for a bit. The third option (c) was to start the purple, but to do a k3 slip 3 pattern for a few rows, making a wavy line at the edge. Well, I tested all three options:
From left to right, option (a), (c), and (b) 
And I really liked how option (b) looked. It seemed to create the smoothest transition between one color and the other. I ended up doing seven rounds of the herring-bone pattern with the purple before switching to the new pattern.

Close-up of the transition
I'm also liking how the purple and gray are blending in while I knit it up. I was somewhat afraid of pooling.

Well, maybe the next time I talk about this project, it will be finished or close to it. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment