header picture

header picture

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Baby Mittens!

The joys of first time parenthood.

Our daycare provider tells my husband (who usually does pick-up) that our baby's hands are cold when they go outside to play. Last winter he was immobile enough to just put a blanket over him. This winter, I guess we will need mittens.

Of course, we'd have to trek to a specialty store to get anything in his size. And I want to attach a cord so that he doesn't lose them when he inevitably hates them and takes them off (as he does to his socks). Online options look overpriced... I guess I'll make him a pair.

Luckily(?) I have a sick day that involves lots of trips to the bathroom but not actually feeling that sick. So, I cast on a pair of mittens to occupy myself, and manage to finish by the end of the day.

Well, I won't leave you in suspense, they come out looking like this:
Pair of red mittens with cord. Quarter next to them for size.
I made them out of a ball of mystery yarn that I have had in my stash forever. I found it under a bed in a hotel room in Israel in 2005. Burn test shows it to be wool, and it is a pleasing barber pole of reds, browns, oranges, and a bit of blue. I found it in a ball, so I actually don't know the full extent of the color changes - for all I know, it's green in the middle!
Mystery barber pole yarn
I used a popular free pattern on Ravelry: Toddler Mittens on a String.

Pattern notes: It might look a bit better if I used a smaller set of needles for the initial ribbing. I did a longer ribbing than the pattern called for, which will hopefully keep the mittens on NEB's hands longer. And I liked the instructions for the i-cord: simple and to the point.

I haven't made mittens in awhile, but I had quite a glove kick my freshman year of college. I only found pictures of 3 pairs, but I'm pretty sure there were a few more than that.
Blue mittens with white stripe made for charity, made in 2005 or 2006
Self-striping sock yarn gloves in crazy colors. Made for my cousin in 2006.

Sparkly black fingerless gloves. Also made in 2006.
Gloves are a great project for people who really like socks but want to do more fiddly bits. Even the mittens can get a bit fiddly with all of the needles and stitches on holders. I would not recommend magic loop as an alternative to double pointed needles if you are making gloves - there are just too few stitches on each finger.
Almost finished with the main part of the baby mittens.
Stitches on three double-pointed needles, thumb gusset on a stitch holder.
Anyhow, I finished up the mittens in one day and NEB has been wearing them. Not sure why I bothered to put thumbs on them though, since he hasn't figured out how to use that part of the mitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment