header picture

header picture

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Starting a Project

Today, I am starting a new project, and I though that I would talk a bit about how I choose what to do.

First of all, I decided to start a new knitting project because I don't have any small projects on the needles at the moment, and sometimes you just need something portable.

The first step I do when starting a new project is to look at my yarn stash, either online (I have pictures of everything up on Ravelry) or just digging around in the bins. I have talked about my yarn-buying strategies in the past, I have a bunch of yarn that was bought with a specific project (though not a pattern) in mind, so I might be inspired to start one of those. Or, I also just have a bunch of random yarn (either leftovers from other projects, spinning experiments, gifts, or impulse buys) and I might be inspired to make something with that. Sometimes, if I am starting a new project because I have a particular type of knitting I want to do, I will look through my library of patterns instead of my yarn.

Today, I figured that I would start by putting away some of the things I collected for my spinning class, and immediately saw a skein of handspun that I have been meaning to make into something.
Tweed jacob yarn
I made the yarn in the Fall of 2014, from undyed jacob sheep roving, on the basic spindle that I learned on on. It was an early effort, so it is not incredibly even.

Looking through my projects the other day, I noticed that I have made hats for every member of my family except my dad. I made a mental note that I should make him something, then immediately forgot.

But when I saw the yarn, that little note pinged my consciousness, and I decided that a good quick project will be a hat. (I make a lot of those, don't I)

So, I have my yarn, I have my project, now I just need a pattern.

I could do a pattern I have done before. But I mostly make women's hats, so I decided I would look and see what else is available.

First, I set my criteria.

The hat must be a cold-weather hat, using one color of aran or bulky yarn, that would be good for a man.
Also, no complex cables or detailed patterns, because the yarn is rather woolen (in layman terms: fluffy), so patterns are not likely to stand out.

I plugged the following criteria into my Ravelry Pattern Search:

Knitting
Free or in my library
Hats  (any kind)
One color of yarn
Aran or bulky yarn weight
NOT women

And then I started looking at pictures. I didn't want anything slouchy, lacy, or with fancy stitches, which got rid of a lot of the top hits.

But two patterns looked interesting:

The Gnarly Hat, and
The Gentleman's Fancy Hat

But I think I will go with the Gentleman's Fancy Hat.

So, I have my yarn and my pattern. All I need to do is call my dad and get his size, and I am ready to start.

1 comment: