header picture

header picture

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Time to Block

A big recent accomplishment, and part of the reason I started this blog, is that I finished a vest. I had been working on this project (among others) for the past three years.
Wearing my new vest before it is blocked
This project took forever, but it was completely worth it.

One of the problems with being a hefty knitter is that making garments for yourself takes forever. Not only are the pieces larger (and therefore take more stitches) but anything made with bulky yarn just looks bad. So, to recap: large size clothing, plus thin yarn (and therefore smaller needles) =  projects that take forever to finish.

This project, definitely fits this description, being on size 5 needles (3.75 mm). Each row was approximately 230 stitches, so you can understand why it took three years. However, nothing compares with the pleasure of a) finishing a large piece, b) having a custom-sized piece of clothing, and c) reminding yourself that you are worth it.

This particular piece was based on a Japanese pattern: the Ripple Vest from Gosyo yarns. Japanese patterns are interesting, because they are based almost entirely on charts. And the chart symbols are standardized by the government, so naturally, they never include a key. Luckily, the internet provides, but deciphering took some work. Then, if that wasn't enough, increases and decreases are described in mysterious groups of three numbers. Apparently, 3-1-1 means to decrease every 3 rows, 1 stitch, 1 time.

Of course, the pattern did not include my size (another travail of heavy knitters) so I improvised. As you may imagine, some of it worked (it fits me), some of it didn't (the armholes are weirdly large). It didn't help that I didn't write anything down (do I ever?) and that I decided I wanted it to be knee length about halfway through the knitting.

Overall though, I am quite pleased with it, and I am submitting it to the Maryland State Fair for judging.

Of course, that means I need to block it.

Blocking is an important step for lace projects, opening up the holes and evening out the stitches. However, the vest is already a bit large on me, and if I do a full blocking with needles or wire the nice ridge pattern is likely to disappear. So I am doing a "light blocking". The yarn, which is a wool/silk/bamboo blend, will hopefully hold the blocking.

The process for a light blocking is thus:

  1. Completely soak the piece in warm water. Let is soak for awhile. This not only gives a chance for the stitches to settle and even out, but it lets some of your hand oils and other dirt on the piece to come out.
  2. Wring it out until it is no longer dripping.
  3. Spread it out on a towel in the arrangement that you want it. You can let the holes be open, without completely stretching the piece, and the towel will hold it roughly in the shape you set while it dries.
  4. Let it dry.
So, Before blocking (draped on a chair):



After soaking, spread out on the towel:

Now, I just have to wait for it to dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment