header picture

header picture

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Spinning Wheels

While there was a lot to learn when I first started spinning, it was all in about wool and yarn. The twist angle, number of plies, thickness of the yarn, washing, and finishing. Even dying and color. There was, of course, plenty to learn, but it was about fiber. As a knitter for 20 years, I knew about fiber. And what I didn't know, I had a basis for learning. One of the nice things about spinning, and why I think every serious knitter should learn it at least a little bit, is that it expanded on knowledge I already had. I see myself looking at yarn offerings at the store in an entirely different light.
But that was as long as I stuck to spindles.

There is something so simple and intuitive about a spindle. Sure, they come in a wide variety of weights and styles, but if you pick one up and twirl it around a bit, you know what you have. There are no complicated problems with spindle repair. (Not that spindle spinning doesn't require skill, but it is almost entirely in the realm of fiber.)

Basic spindle
But then I got a wheel. Not just any wheel, but a finicky vintage wheel that only sometimes worked. And I found myself in a whole new realm of knowledge.

I know almost nothing about woodworking. In middle school, our shop class made shelves, and that is the last woodworking project I did. But suddenly I was heading off to the hardware store for lubricant and dongles of all kinds, trying to diagnose a complicated machine.

A mysterious, complex machine

The crack in the foot pedal was the easiest. I bought wood glue and a clamp.

Everything else was mysterious.

Getting another wheel that mostly worked was very helpful. It helped me understand what the wheel was supposed to do and what it wasn't.

And, after much trial and error, I actually have a working machine. Yay! It still only has two bobbins, but you do with what you have. I've actually been spinning on it in the last few days, and it is beautiful.
Is that actual yarn I see on the bobbin?
It helps that the fiber is gorgeous and easy to spin. It is a mix of Blue-Faced Leicester wool and silk, and the colors are amazing. I picked it up at Maryland Sheep and wool, from knittyandcolor.


Not sure that this picture does the yarn justice.
You can see how bright it is.
Of course, now that the vintage wheel is working fine, I have started another project: decorating the Ashford wheel.

At first, I tried staining it dark. Then it turns out that beechwood just doesn't take stain at all. I am pleased to say, though, that I tested it first in a place that can't be seen, so no harm done (just the loss of money).

But I have added some decorations. That big, flat wheel was begging for some paint. Of course, my painting skills leave a lot to be desired, so I stenciled. I took the picture off the internet, used an exacto-knife to cut it into cardboard, and used a sponge to paint it on. I don't think it came out too bad.  What do you think?
A dragon taking off and landing
I know, there is still more paint to be added. I need to take another trip to the hardware store for supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment