header picture

header picture

Friday, August 14, 2015

Four Hats

Hats are a great, quick project. They are more interesting than scarfs, and more versatile than gloves.

I love wearing hats, and I love making hats, so let's look at some hats I've made over the years.

Let's start with some of my favorites: two sun hats I made in college.



The first hat was the Picture Hat from the book "A Gathering of Lace". The second was the same hat, but I modified it by adding the pattern from the Spiral Shawl in the same book. The hardest part of the pattern was finding a good starch to keep it from being floppy. The first hat, I used corn starch. The second, I used a glue-like stiffener from the craft store. These are definitely the fanciest hats I have ever made, though they are made with a very simple cotton yarn.

Moving on to warmer things...


Sorry for the poor pictures, but I no longer have access to the project in question.

For a summer in college, I worked as a telemarketer. Of course, I knitted the whole time. One of my fellow employees seemed really fascinated by the idea that I could design him any hat that he wanted, and he asked for one that was red and blue and said "Boston" and had his lucky number on the back. He bought the yarn (there was a LYS down the street), and I made him a simple rolled-brim hat. I got to practice my intarsia, he got a custom hat.

One more for today (although looking through, I have made a lot of hats. This may be a recurring post).





This is another hat that has sadly disappeared into the ether. I went through a phase where I was making hats that were reversible, and looked completely different on one side than the other. This one was done by simply making two hats without bottom brims. Both were started using a provisional cast-on. Then I removed the waste yarn, and finished with a brim for both.

The spiral pattern on the gray hat was done with duplicate stitch, so there was no intarsia involved.

That is all for today. More hats will be appearing in the future, I am sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment